Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

As you might have noticed, I have been obsessed with squash this season. To be honest, I've been obsessed with squash for...? Since I can remember. I'm a big fan of just cooking them with butter and brown sugar and letting the squash do the rest (because honestly, that's all you need to do to make them extraordinary). But I'm learning that there's a billion other ways to make really satisfying, tasty, and beautiful meals out of squash. I've also been sharing my squash cooking adventures on my blog! Spaghetti squash pad Thai! Butternut squash stuffed with breakfast sausage! And tonight, acorn squash stuffed with quinoa.



Ingredients

  • 2 acorn squash, cut in half
  • 1 C quinoa 
  • 1 C water
  • 1 C vegetable stock (or chicken broth)
  • 1/2 minced white onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1/4 C chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 C raisins
  • 1/4 C dried cranberries (or just another 1/4 C of raisins because no one usually has dried cranberries just lying around)
  • 3 T Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 C grated cheddar cheese
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 T red wine vinegar (more or less to taste)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375ยบ and place acorn squash cut side down in a cookie sheet or casserole dish with some water (about a cup, roughly). 
  2. When oven is heated, put squash into oven for 30-45 minutes, until soft.
  3. Meanwhile, cook quinoa. Because I'm lazy, I use my rice cooker for this. One cup quinoa to two cups liquid, in this case one cup of vegetable stock, one cup of water. Whole Foods' website has good instructions on how to cook quinoa the right way.
  4. Saute onion on medium heat in a pan for about 5 minutes, until clear. Add in garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes. 
  5. Add onions and garlic to the quinoa mixture along with walnuts, raisins, cranberries, and Parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly. 
  6. Next add the olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper. I recommend adding no more than two tablespoons of olive oil and then adding the vinegar, salt, and pepper to your taste.
  7. When the squash is done, remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Flip squash over and spoon in heaping amounts of the quinoa mixture.
  8. Finally, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each squash half and place back in oven for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Did you use white or red quinoa? Or is it the nuts and fruits that I am seeing? I have LOTS of quinoa- I need to get some squash !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used a mixture that I got at the co-op in the bulk section! I really liked it more than just using the plain white quinoa. But I've also started soaking it for j5-10 minutes and then rinsing it, which really helps to get rid of that bitter, powdery flavor. I know that's a strange description, "bitter, powdery" but you know what I mean!

      Delete