Monday, July 15, 2013

What Works for YOU?

I went to the library yesterday afternoon. I left my husband home with my napping child and I went and had a leisurely stroll through the library. I never knew before I was a parent how rewarding going to Target or the library or even just the drive through ATM would be without your child in tow. I'm not complaining, my child is actually a saint in public-no I'm not being sarcastic. That's one of his strong qualities. He loves being in carts, he loves people (mostly women who he loves to flirt with), he's a delightful child in public. So that helps.

So anyway, the library. I decided, during my uninterrupted browsing, that I'd bring home season one of Homeland (there goes, oh, roughly 10 hours of my life this week), a few random books... And a different Jillian Michaels DVD. Oh, WHY!?! Why do I keep doing this to myself? Well, Chels, because you've lost 32 pounds by following mostly what good ol' Jillian has to say. And if you look, almost every review of her videos and books on Amazon has five stars. Her stuff works. Whether you want to watch it or not, whether she makes you as angry as she makes me some days, you have to admit, what she does works.

My point: I have a lot of friends who've gotten more involved in fitness/eating right in the last year or so. I have a few that do the boot camps (and they all look incredible), I have some who've started going to the gym regularly and running or biking on the side (also, they look fantastic). I have others who do what I do and pop in a video (our dear friends and neighbors completed the ENTIRE Insanity DVD set. Ummm... Persistence doesn't even begin to describe a regimen like that. Oh. And the video-watchers have seen huge, positive changes in their physiques as well.) Again. My point? Find what works for you. Find what you enjoy and do it as much as you can.

People sometimes want to criticize others who haven't taken the same path as they have. Do what works for you. If you're scared of gyms (like me), go to Target or the library and pick up a DVD or two. If being held accountable every day is what you need, join a boot camp. Whatever you choose, stay on your path. Find like-minded friends who you can talk to about fitness. That will undoubtedly keep you motivated. Because here's a sad secret: PEOPLE WHO AREN'T WORKING OUT DO NOT WANT TO SPEND MUCH TIME TALKING TO YOU ABOUT YOUR WORKOUTS. Sorry. It's the absolute truth of it. Mention it, move on. Otherwise, you'll bore them and they'll end up somehow making you feel foolish. And totally unintentionally, but if you've tried talking to someone who could care less about you and your workout routine, you know exactly what I mean. And it kind of drains the energy out of you, somehow.

I don't want to end my post on a "people can be so mean!" note... So ummm.. GO FORTH! SEIZE THE DAY! KICK MONDAY'S ASS! WOOOO!!

I'm scared to start this...

1 comment:

  1. I like her commentary "when you start to feel that pain, that is weakness leaving the body" or "these abs don't come for free" compared to a lot of other workout videos, she keeps it real!

    ReplyDelete