Monday, June 24, 2013

Chickpea Feta Salad



Today I am not an enthusiastic carnivore. That reads: I don't want meat for a single meal today. I'm not a vegetarian and there's no way I could be entirely vegan (I love eggs and cheese a bit too much) but every now and then, I go on little "meatless kicks".

This brought me to what to do for lunch today? I'm not feeling meat, I'm not feeling bread (which is very unusual for me)... So I remembered this really awesome, hearty salad I had found the recipe for a long time ago via Martha Stewart's website. I've adapted it a little because the original recipe seemed really small to me and I have pots of fresh herbs, so why used dried herbs, right? Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1/2 C Chickpeas
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 2-4 leaves fresh basil, chopped
  • 1/4 C feta cheese
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced (roughly 1 T lemon juice)
  • Pepper to taste (the original recipe calls for salt too, I don't put a lot of salt on things and with the feta and the lemon juice, you'll probably find that you don't need more flavor than that.)
Directions
  1. Mix everything together.
  2. Eat.

It's so simple. It took me less than five minutes to make. I poured myself a glass of sun tea and chowed down. And a fun fact about chickpeas, dieters: eating chickpeas helps you control your appetite because they contain substantial amounts of protein and fiber! Yay for chickpeas! If you want a yummy roasted red pepper hummus recipe where you can use the rest of your can of chickpeas, click here!

Credit: NaturalFoodBenefits.com

No comments:

Post a Comment