Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Quinoa Parfait Recipe



Two healthy, delicious recipes in a row?! Yup, yup, yup! I couldn't resist trying this today and blogging about it tonight so maybe some of you can try it out tomorrow morning!

This one I found on PopSugar.com and kind of adapted it. Partially because I don't use some of the ingredients (i.e. Stevia) and partially because there's no way I could eat that much in one serving. And I can eat a lot. I also keep looking to quinoa to help give me protein because I don't eat a ton of meat anymore and I manage to get way too many carbs between my love of bread and all of the fruits and veggies we eat in our family. Why quinoa for protein? Well, because it's a complete protein. A complete protein is one that has all of the nine essential amino acids that the body doesn't make on it's own. A lot of protein sources don't contain all nine. More details on complete proteins here.

Onto the recipe!



Ingredients
  • 1/8 C dry quinoa (cook it as usual in 1/4 cup water and it will expand to about 1/4 of a cup.)
  • 1/2 C fat-free yogurt
  • 1 t honey
  • 1/2 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 C blueberries
  • 1/3 C chopped strawberries
  • 1 ripe peach, chopped
Directions
  1. While quinoa is cooking, mix yogurt, honey, and cinnamon.
  2. In a separate container, mix blueberries, strawberries, and chopped peaches.
  3. Layer quinoa, yogurt mixture, and fruit mixture. Repeat.
Calories in this one? 272. Paired with a medium boiled egg for breakfast, you're not even close to cracking a huge 400 calorie breakfast, packed with healthy protein and low in sugar.

(All calorie values from caloriecount.about.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment