Monday, November 5, 2012

Filling, Easy 300 Calorie Breakfast

Good morning! I haven't posted for a while, I know. I guess you'd call it writer's block. I couldn't think of anything that wasn't totally repetitive to blog about, so I just didn't write anything. This morning, as I was making one of my regular breakfasts, I realized, "HEY! That's it! Write about your miracle breakfast burrito!" So here it is!

Ingredients
  • 1 100 calorie La Tortilla Factory tortilla
  • 2 T Onions
  • 1 T Salsa
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 1 T Greek Yogurt (Or my fave-Mountain High Yoghurt)
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • Dash of pepper
So I think we can all figure out how to make a breakfast burrito. Saute the onions, throw the beaten egg into the pan and sprinkle on the garlic powder and pepper, cook til it's your favorite texture of scrambled eggs (I like to burn mine a little). Then slather the salsa and Greek yogurt on the tortilla shell, and put on the eggs. Wrap up and eat it. Again, I'm confident that most of my readers can probably handle this and might be thinking, "Chels, why are you posting something so simple?" Well. Here's why.

Truly a miracle. Low-cal wraps!

That 100 cal tortilla shell is 90 CALORIES LESS than a regular tortilla shell. Using Greek yogurt (16 calories) instead of sour cream (26 calories)? You're saving yourself almost half the calories. Garlic powder? Oh yes, it definitely has more calories than the comparable salt BUT remember. Salt is sodium. Sodium is something that we do not need to add to our diets, as there is enough sodium in everything we eat naturally. So while one teaspoon of salt has 97% of the recommended daily intake of sodium and 0 calories, garlic powder has 0% of the recommended daily intake of sodium and only 9 calories per teaspoon. So a dash of it is less than one calorie. I think we can spare that one calorie, right guys? And also-don't ever forget that sodium makes you retain more water which equals bloating. So when it all shakes out, your breakfast burrito is only 227 calories and you've used ingredients that are going to propel you into your day and not drag you down.

Add half of a cup of raspberries (32 calories) and a couple cups of coffee (each with 1/2 tablespoon of creamer, even) and you're still under 300 calories for breakfast at 294 calories total.

Have a GREAT Monday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment