Wednesday, October 2, 2013

No Apologies

I've had a number of friends who work out regularly apologize recently for posting about working out.

You will not ever get an apology from me. Never.

  • I am not trying to make anyone feel like they're not doing enough.
  • I am not trying to one-up anyone.
  • I am not trying to rub it in peoples' faces that I exercise frequently.
  • I am not trying to compete with anyone other than myself.
  • I am not trying to show off.
  • I am not trying to guilt anyone into drastically altering their lifestyle.
  • I am not trying to hurt anyone inadvertently.
  • I am not trying to earn any badges by checking in to any exercise facilities.

What am I trying to do?

  • I AM trying to connect with like-minded friends about something that I'm always trying to learn more about.
  • I AM hoping someone will see one of my posts and think, "Hell, if Chelsea can do it, I can do it." Because that's the truth.
  • I AM doing it because I'm proud of my accomplishments.
  • I AM chronicling it because it's a big deal to me.
  • I AM enjoying looking back on my "I used to not be athletic but now I kind of am" journey.
  • I DO try to like or comment on others who go to the gym/on a bike ride/on a run because encouraging others to better themselves is about as "win-win" as you can get.
  • I DO feel that by making posts and starting conversations about fitness and health, I keep myself motivated and accountable.
  • I WILL, without apology, continue posting, blogging, commenting, liking, and talking about this.
I'm so sad when I see a meme that says something like, "Oh, thank you for the exercise post... SAID NO ONE EVER," because 1. it's unoriginal, 2. it's unkind to someone who is working really hard on positively changing themselves and 3. it's (in my opinion) in poor form to attack someone (or someones) with a vague, been-done meme.

So once again, can we just try to be supportive of each other from time to time?

1 comment: