Sunday, September 8, 2013

Banana Watermelon Smoothie



We've been eating a lot of smoothies lately. Simply put, they are easy, healthy, and filling. To me, that adds up to a perfect lunch option.

Today, I made myself a pumpkin spice smoothie (I'm pretending, since it's September, that fall weather is upon us. It's not. It's super hot outside...) and my husband came up with a really refreshing concoction... Banana and watermelon! It's so yummy and since we often have watermelon to spare, it was the perfect excuse to use some of it up.

Watermelon is rich in so many good things. It's packed full of vitamin C and lycopene. Which means it not only protects your immune system, but it strengthens your bones as well. It's also a good diuretic. Meaning it helps you pee (let's just call a spade a spade) BUT it isn't as rough on your kidneys as alcohol or coffee (which are, I suppose, by comparison, bad diuretics. I hate admitting that since coffee is one of my great loves...). And, of course, watermelon tastes great. It's a great fix for a sweet tooth and filled with water (obviously), keeping you hydrated. Oh. And as usual, I threw some chia seeds in there to give me a little energy boost.

Ingredients
  • 1 C watermelon
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1/2 C silken tofu
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1/2 almond milk
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Serve over ice (or you can blend it up with some ice too!)
Not pictured is the silken tofu. Because we used
it all.


(Source: Live Love Fruit)

No comments:

Post a Comment