Monday, July 1, 2013

Guacamole is SO TASTY! (Recipe!)


My favorite thing to bring to parties is guacamole. Everyone loves guacamole. And if by some fluke chance people don't eat all of it (which very rarely happens), you have an incredibly healthy snack to take home with you.

I know, I know. A medium sized avocado is nearly 300 calories. One avocado has a huge chunk of your daily recommended fat intake. I've found myself arguing in defense of avocados many times in the past. Here's the facts. Avocados are good for your heart. Avocados are good for your skin. Avocados have proven time and time again to lower cholesterol levels. Avocados contain lutein, which is super-good for your eyes. Oh. And they taste INCREDIBLE.

Guacamole is so rich in good-for-you foods. Onions also help lower cholesterol levels. My mom always talks about how "onions and garlic are blood cleaners" which is basically what they do, but if you want more specifics, click here. The guacamole I make has cilantro in it, which I've been told by numerous friends and acquaintances tastes like soap. I've even been warned by servers in restaurants about ordering cilantro-heavy dishes. Apparently the cilantro=soap taste thing is genetic. BUT, if you're like me and you love the cool, clean (not soapy!) taste of cilantro, know that it (along with parsley) is like a magnet to heavy metals like mercury in your blood. So does it clean your blood too? I guess you could say that.

I could ramble on and on about how you should make room for more guacamole in your life simply based on the healthiness of its ingredients, but I'm done boring you with those details. Onto the recipe!

Ingredients
  • 3 ripe avocados
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro (omit if it tastes like soap to you)
  • 2 Roma tomatoes
  • 1-2 wedges of lime
  • 1/2 t garlic powder (more or less to taste)
  • salt to taste
I was making guacamole for a crowd yesterday
so that's why the ingredient numbers don't match
up to this picture at all.
Directions
  1. Mash the avocado with a potato masher or any other kitchen utensil, really. Don't mash it too much initially though, unless you want a really smooth consistency. I really like chunky guacamole, personally.
  2. Chop all the other veggies and add to the avocados. Mix them together, keeping in mind the chunkiness level that you're wanting to achieve. Add salt and garlic powder and softly combine.
  3. Squeeze lime slices over the top and stir softly into the guacamole. I'm not sure about this, but I've always put lime in my guacamole for two reasons. One-taste of course. And two-apparently it keeps it from turning brown as quickly.
  4. Find something to dip with and EAT.
  5. Watch your skin start glowing from all of the good-for-your-health foods you just put into your body!
And here's the finished product. Not my best
photography work, but hey.

And just for fun, here's a picture of me and my little avocado-lover at the potluck
yesterday. I have to show him off.





(Other sources: UndergroundHealth.com, Southern Living, NY Times, SFGate)


2 comments:

  1. It is hard for me to verbalize. What may be happening Pure Fit Keto right about now? There is a cult which has been built around this course. You can do it without spending a lot. In this essay,
    https://supplementengine.co.za/pure-fit-keto/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tea also add vitality to a sluggish digestive console. Guarantee a individual could achieve excess fat loss desires. The tea also add vitality to time-consuming

    digestive course. SupplementsCare is the condition. If you cannot drink tea a few times per day there is also another organic options that encourage weight great loss. I guess Supplements Care may be really cool but you should make sure that your Supplements Care is ready for that. There are problems with this. My feeling is based about my assumption that nobody has a tendency about weight reduction. I suspect Supplements Care may be very cool but you should be sure your Premium Pure Keto is prepared for this.

    https://is.gd/AZIMPQ

    ReplyDelete