Friday, July 13, 2012

So you have 100 excuses, huh?

Let me start by saying yes. I am lucky. I get to stay at home with my baby while my husband goes to work. I'm sure some people think that it's easy to be at home all day with a baby (or babies). But I'm also sure you've heard that being a stay-at-home mom is hard work. And you heard right. It's a never-ending job and a nine-month old can't say please or thank you. But, nevertheless, I am grateful that I have the opportunity to be at home with my child. I love it.

I work out almost every day. Some days, twice. I eat reasonably healthy most of the time. We had quinoa for dinner two nights ago and then yesterday, I bought a jumbo corn dog at the local fair. I like to think this is what moderation is all about, considering I won't have another corn dog for years probably and we will probably eat quinoa again tonight. Anyway, I'm going off-course. What I'm trying to say is that I know that there are a few people who are critical of me for being able to work out. And you know who you are. Those of you saying, "Oh, Chelsea, but you aren't working every day so it's EASY to find time to work out!" Let me correct you. It's not easy to find time. I have found a time that (usually) works for me. And for my husband and child. I wake up at the same time as my husband does every day so I can get a workout in before the little one wakes up. So just wait a second. I'm probably still waking up earlier than those of you who go to work every day. If you're still questioning me, our alarm clock is set at 5am. And my little ones internal alarm clock is closer to 4:30am most mornings.

So next time the lazy part of your brain starts making excuses, I've come up with a few answers to those that you can come back with. And then once YOU have won the argument with lazy you, you can exercise.

1. "Oh, my schedule isn't as accomodating as others schedules and it's not fair." (I started with this one because it's fresh in my mind.) Response: You shouldn't let what you think other people have get in the way of making yourself look and feel better. And your assumption is probably inaccurate anyway.

2. "I'm scared it will hurt to work out!" Response: It will hurt. And if it doesn't, you're not really working out. But you will live. And when you've caught your breath at the end, you will feel better than you ever would have if you hadn't worked out, physically and mentally.

3. "I've been working out for three weeks and haven't shed a single pound!" Usual repsonse: Muscle weighs more than fat. This response really never encouraged me, so I have a different one. My response: If I continue this regimen and continue eating properly, I will eventually start losing weight. It may take me three months (it DID take me three months) but I will eventually start losing weight.

4. "I've had a rough day/have a busy day coming up and I should reward myself with food and/or sitting on the couch." Response: Grab a bottle of water and go for a walk. Come home. Grab some popcorn. Sit. Wow. That's less calories that you have to worry about while you sit on your couch in your sweatpants snacking. We all need some down-time and if this is it for you, that's fine.

5. "I spend a lot of time doing phsycial work as it is." Response: Imagine if you worked out a few times a week how much faster the weight would come off and how much faster you'd see an improved version of yourself.



Okay, there's more. According to the title of this post, 95 more. Definitely more than that. But the point is, your mind can do funny things to you. It can empower you or it can stop you. It's definitely easier to let it talk you out of something. It's easy to let it throw you a pity party and make you think you've not been as fortunate as others. Stop letting that part of your mind take control. Take your willpower back from that part of your brain! Wake up and say, "No, I'm not going to try to do this I AM going to do this!"

Have a lovely Friday the 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment